Optional Practical Training
Optional Practical Training is a benefit to students on F-1 visas that allows them to work up to 12 full months in their fields of study. You are eligible to participate in one year of OPT after each degree level completed. OPT can be applied for 90 days prior to your graduation date or up to 60 days after.
To be eligible for OPT:
You must be an F-1 student in lawful academic standing at CSU for one full academic year (nine months) before submitting an OPT application.
You must not have participated in full-time Curricular Practical Training for more than 12 months.You must submit your application for OPT before your program completion date (the day of your last final)
You must maintain a valid:
- I-94 card
Applying for OPT:
If you want to apply for OPT, download the following checklist and make sure you gather all of the necessary documents before making an appointment with the international student coordinator. It is recommended that you apply for OPT two to three months before your completion of studies to ensure you receive your Employment Authorization Card in a timely fashion. You will NOT be able to apply for OPT once you have completed your program of study.
Please be aware that you will need a $410 check or money order payable to US Department of Homeland Security in order to apply for OPT. You and your academic adviser will also need to complete the OPT Recommendation Form below.
- Download the OPT Checklist (PDF)
- Download the OPT Recommendation Form (PDF)
- Please review the I-765 Form and complete
- Download and complete form G-1145 to receive and e-mail or text notification when your application is received (PDF)
- COMPLETE THE EXIT SURVEY - WILL BE EMAILED TO YOU
STEM OPT allows for an additional 24 months of OPT if you are in the specified degree fields that are approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program. STEM OPT requires all of the same information and fee payment as regular OPT except a copy of your degree or diploma and an employer training plan must be included. STEM OPT must be applied for and the application must be received by USCIS prior to the expiration of your current OPT. More information about STEM OPT may be found at: https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/
Pre Completion OPT - OPT prior to completion of degree
- Students must be enrolled in school full time
- Students may only work 20 hours per week while school is in session
- Students may work full time during summer and other breaks (as long as student will return to school after the break)
- Student may work full-time after completion of all coursework, if a thesis or dissertation is still required and student is making normal progress towards the degree
- Employment must be related to degree field
- Must submit payment and documents the same as post completion OPT
- Approval times are the same as regular OPT
Important things to know about OPT:
- You must begin your OPT within 60 days of course completion
- Once you complete your OPT, you have 60 days to leave the country
- You may only work during the dates that are specified on your EAD card
- You must actively search for, and obtain employment within 90 days of your OPT start date or you will be considered out of status and your I-20 will be terminated
- You must work in your area of study