Columbus State University Print Logo

International Students Banner - Student holding pictures of international locations.

International Programs

F1/J1 Dependents

International students in F-1 or J-1 status may be eligible to bring their spouse and children to the United States. For complete instructions on requesting immigration forms for F-1/J-1 dependents, send an email to:

F1 dependent -

J1 dependent -

Health and Accident Insurance

While currently it is not required for  dependents of F-1 students to carry health and accident insurance, it is anticipated that coverage will soon become mandatory. Because of the high cost of health care in the U.S., insurance for dependents is highly recommended. Dependents of J-1 students must have health insurance.

Dependents of F-1 or J-1 students are not eligible for public assistance programs such as medical services or insurance provided to low-income U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Accepting such benefits could result in deportation and forced repayment of fees.


Work Permission

Dependents on F-2 visas are prohibited from working on or off campus by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) regulations.  J-2 dependents may study and work in the United States.  In order to obtain employment a J-2 Visa holder would need to apply for an EAD card.  The J-2 employment cannot be used to support the J-1 Visa holder.