International Student Friendship Program
“International Friends” are administered through the Center for Global Engagement. New international students may agree to be partnered with volunteer domestic/international students who have been at CSU for at least one full semester.
Each “International Friend” will be responsible for pairing with an international student to help them transition into American university life, providing guidance and joining them in social activities.
Volunteers are expected to maintain contact with their “International Friend” throughout the semester, making themselves available to provide help and guidance, as well as friendship.
Student volunteers will:
- Initiate some kind of contact with your “International Friend” at least once per week, whether via telephone, e-mail, or face-to-face meeting.
- Actively schedule at least one face-to-face meeting per month with your “International Friend.”
- Initiate a trip to go shopping, out to eat, or to a movie when possible.
- Make an effort to be available if your “International Friend” needs help negotiating some new aspect of the university or just needs to talk about homesickness.
- Set appropriate boundaries with your “International Friend” (i.e. Volunteers should not expect new international students to pay for their “international friend’s” portion of any activities scheduled; likewise they should not expect their “international friend” to do their laundry, etc.)
If you are interested in being a friend to an incoming international student please complete THIS APPLICATION (PDF) and bring or send it to the Center for Global Engagement Attn: Janet Crane.
If you are an international student who would like to be matched with a friend please complete THIS APPLICATION (PDF) and bring or send it to the Center for Global Engagement Attn: Janet Crane.